Sew Gorgeous; good old fashioned fun - sewing workshops and parties

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Vintage Vogue 2787


My finished Garment
The pattern envelope

Pattern Deets:

Vintage Vogue 2787

Affections/objections:

Where to start? This dress is just so super vintage gorgeousness from top to bottom! The curved bodice/skirt seam is really flattering and gathering at the shoulders and waist give it a unique look.  
I made this dress for a Mother of the Groom client who fell in love with the pattern and an amazing colourful chiffon but was a little nervous about sewing it herself (with good reason!).

Curved bodice seam

Modifications:
The neckline is REALLY high, for this dress I lowered it by two inches at the front and an inch at the back. The pattern calls for a  back zip as well as a side zip, but I omitted the side zip and added a longer invisible zip.

I also underlined the whole dress with a pink silk  as the chiffon was too sheer to work on its own.



Would you sew it again? And tell others to?
Sewing this dress in chiffon is definitely not for the faint hearted that’s for sure! While sewing it I did often wonder how it would look in a thicker fabric or even a cotton and I think it would work well. I love the different drafting techniques and even the curved bodice seam (which is topstitched!) wasn’t too hard to get finished to a standard I was happy with.





Wrap it up!
I really love this pattern – it is a really different style that has a true vintage class to it.
Made in different fabrics it could have totally different feels/looks to it and I think it’s a great pattern that you could potentially make again and again!

The happy client wearing it 


4 comments:

  1. Really like the fabric print. I wasn't sure about the dress it till I saw it on the client. She looks great! Good move lowering then neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a gorgeous dress - and how tricky that fabric must have been! I have this pattern in my stash and have wondered whether it would look good made up - very glad to see it does:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a few people make this pattern now, it's so lovely. I adore the fabric, do you know where she got it from?

    ReplyDelete